Thursday 27 June 2013

If You Write a Controversial Book - You're Going to Get Hate


I told myself this before I pressed ‘publish’ on Amazon and it’s taken all of five days for someone to offer their opinion on my mental health. Here’s my one star review: One star review of Crash

So how do I react to this? I’m human so it’s never nice to receive a personal attack, however, I was expecting it because my book is hard hitting. I have a really great group of friends that I play poker with. A lot of our humour revolves around how horrible we are to each other. We’re guys, what can I say. With that in mind, I thought I’d open myself up to the abuse of my peers and send a group message with the review. It took a while, but the abuse eventually came flooding in. What else can I do but laugh at it? 

In all seriousness I feel thankful that my work has made an impact. This person interpreted it as negative, but I’m glad to leave an impression either way. After all, a review is only a reflection of the reviewers view on the world and I can’t be responsible for that. I'd love millions of five star reviews but that isn't going to happen. 

I thought I would write this blog about it because this is my debut work and it’s a milestone. I’m sure it won’t be the last.

Does anyone have any opinions on how to deal with haters?

Michael Robertson (Author of Crash)
www.michaelrobertson.co.uk 



6 comments:

  1. Im no writer but I love to read and met you today and have purchased your book...You sent me the link on this one review and I thought it has awful what they said to you.Personal attacks and asumptions that didnt need to be said..I hope you can let this one roll and forget it but Im sure that will be difficult..The person had the right to read about it before they read it..even a sample of the book should have told that person what to expect..There are jealous mean horrible ppl in the world that are just negative and take pleasure making others feel bad...You are a fabulous writer and you keep your head held high this is YOUR work and be proud no matter what others say..Focus on the positive reviews you get and the fans of your work...I have all faith that you will be famous one day and dont forget me !!! Lol seriously dont let this get you done..If you have one fan at all you have accomplished something...good luck and I cant wait to write a smashing review for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. You're really kind and I appreciate your response. It would seem that getting this criticism has turned into a positive thing for me. Everyone that has read my blog post has been super supportive and it's totally outweighed what the reviewer has said. :) Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Why are you concerned about what this ass says? They are obviously a wacko that takes this sort of thing wayyy to seriously.
    :)
    Keep Writing.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you Joseph. I like your assessment of the reviewer. :). Thanks for reading my post and commenting. I feel so lucky to have had so many positive and supportive responses.

      Delete
    2. When is your next book out?
      :)

      Delete
    3. I'm putting the finishing touches on it now and hoping to send it to my editor within the next week or so. He typically takes about 6-8 weeks with it, so any time after that. :)

      Delete